On a High Arid Plain

Friday, April 18, 2014

I spent a huge portion of my life this semester working on a capstone film called On a High Arid Plain
It's a short student film about a cowboy and a wolf, and I was the prop master (or propstitute, according to Lauren), which means I was in charge of pretty much every thing the actor touched in the film. Which, in case you were wondering, was a ton of stuff.

This was the first film I've worked on where I've been heavily involved in pre-production, and can I just say that it is so incredibly rewarding to see the process from the beginning? Because it is. It was so cool to see our visions and ideas become a reality. It was some of the hardest work I've ever done in my life, but also some of the most rewarding. I loved every minute of it. Even the nights where I stress-cried myself to sleep. I can 100% attest to the fact that when you're doing something that you love, it doesn't feel like work. I had to keep pinching myself to make sure this was real life. I mean, some people have to sit in class and learn chemistry, and I get to be on a film set! How did I get so lucky?

Anyway, here are a few of my favorite/most memorable parts of working on this project:

Xena, the Dead Rabbit



Yes, it was a girl and yes, we named her. I know I've talked about this ordeal a lot, but how often to you buy dead rabbits on the internet for a movie? (She played her part beautifully in case you were wondering).

Art Crew


These are some of my favorite humans. I'm kind of sad that this is the only group picture I had of us. But really, our crew was FANTASTIC. Everyone was so on the ball and willing to do anything, plus they're the nicest and funniest people EVER. I think it's impossible not to bond with people when you open a dead rabbit, visit a slaughterhouse, dig a 6 foot hole and shovel cow pies together. So if any of you guys are reading this, just know that you're awesome. (Rub some dirt on it.)

Speaking of Digging Holes


This happened. I'm actually standing on an apple box so you could see my head above the hole. Sometimes on film sets you dig 6 foot holes. This is another shout out to art crew, (mostly Julia, Bryce and Malori because they did most of it).

This Beautiful Setup 


Just know that a lot of sweat, blood and wood stain made this possible. And it turned out beautifully, if I do say so myself.

Wearing Guns and Feeling Cool 


Being prop master has lots of perks, and one of them was that I got to walk around with this beauty strapped to my back for (almost) a whole day. Add sunglasses, red boots and a walkie-talkie and I'm basically unstoppable.


Also, can we talk about how cool Lindsay looks in this picture?
(Photo credit Melissa Marquez)

And Now for More Random Pictures from Set 
(Photo credit Melissa Marquez and Nate Christofferson)

 The greatest people you will ever meet. 

 Getting words of wisdom from Hannah. 

 One time Gary climbed a windmill.

Sometimes after being on set for hours and hours we all look terribly awkward. And that's okay.

Actor. Sunset. Magic. 

Basically I love my major. And my life. And this project. And the 5 people who read this blog. 

Thank you and good night. 

Love, Brontë

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs