This Week's Obsession: I'm a Podcast Freak

Friday, November 27, 2015

Procrastination is a funny thing. I haven't blogged for months and then all of a sudden I have 1,001 things to do and now is when I feel like blogging. So here we are. Buckle up because I'm about to tell you ALL about my podcast addiction.

I'm obsessed with podcasts. (In case you couldn't tell from the title of this post). My obsession started with Serial because I'm a total bandwagoner, but since then I've discovered several more that I absolutely love and you should too, so I'm going to tell you about them.  These are my favorites (in no particular order).

1. This American Life 
Okay so maybe I put my favorite podcast at #1. I love This American Life so much. I love the three act structure they use and the stories they choose to tell are engaging and informative. I also love that the commercials are at the end so you can skip them if you want. New episodes are weekly, usually posted on Sunday. Episodes are generally 1 hour long.

2. Serial
Serial is the podcast that started it all for me. Over the course of 12 episodes it goes over an old murder case that has more than a few weird things happening. I'm not going to say any more in case you are planning on listening to it (which I HIGHLY recommend). New episodes are on the way, (I think the last thing I read was January 2016?) but in the meantime feel free to binge listen to the first season. Episodes are about 1 hour each.

3. TED Radio Hour
I'm a big fan of TED Talks and this podcast picks a theme every week and discusses that theme with TED speakers. The host, Guy Raz is a fantastic interviewer, and it's really fun to get learn about all sorts of things that I would never have know existed. New episodes are weekly, usually posted on Thursday. Episodes are generally 40-50 minutes long.

4. Lore
I found this podcast by accident, but I really like it. Lore is about scary stories and spooky folklore. The host does a really good job and so far the stories are really good and spooky. I've gotten goosebumps more than once while listening. My only complaint is that there is background music that can be distracting. New episodes come out twice per month. Episodes are generally 20-30 minutes long.

5. RadioLab
Similar to This American Life, RadioLab tells really interesting stories, although they usually focus on one story per episode. I love the hosts and they do a really good job with interviews and story telling. New episodes come out about twice per month, sometimes more. Episodes are generally 30 minutes to an hour.

6. 99% Invisible
Really interesting stories and background information about things that you never think about. My favorite episode so far has been about milk carton kids and how that whole phenomenon was started. New episodes come out weekly, usually posted on Tuesday. Episodes are between 20-30 minutes long.

7. Happier 
Hosted by Gretchen Rubin (the author of The Happiness Project) and her sister Elizabeth, this podcast gives you tips and strategies on how to build better habits and ways to be happier. They have lots of good ideas, but my biggest problem with this podcast is that ads are really super annoying. However, I enjoy the podcast enough that I still listen to it anyway. New episodes are posted weekly, usually on Tuesday. Episodes are between 30-40 minutes.

8. Stuff You Should Know
My friend Ashley introduced me to this podcast and I really like it. The hosts take on a different topic each episode and explain how it works and the background/history behind it. The hosts have great chemistry and all the episodes I've listened to are engaging and fun. New episodes are posted about every 5 days but sometimes they're more frequent. Episodes are between 30-50 minutes.

9. StoryCorps
I started listening to this podcast after an episode of the TED Radio Hour where the creator of StoryCorps was interviewed. StoryCorps is a podcast based on interviews recorded by people in StoryCorps booths around the country. They generally focus on a topic each episode and have 1-2 interviews associated with that topic. The interviews range from lighthearted and funny to serious and heartbreaking. New episodes are posted about once a week, but sometimes they're more spread out. Episodes are between 10-20 minutes.

10. Stuff You Missed in History Class
This podcast focuses on more obscure figures in history that you may not know about but still had a significant or interesting contribution to make. One of my favorite things about this podcast is that I learn something new every single time I listen to it. The hosts do a really good job of not being lecture-y and all the stories they pick are really interesting. New episodes are once or twice a week depending. Episodes are between 30-50 minutes.

Anyway, podcasts are the best and I'm always on the hunt for new ones, so if you know of any great podcasts not on my list let me know!

Love, Brontë


No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs